Thursday, July 31, 2008

The Second Law of Thermodynamics vs. Ataxophobia

The second law of thermodynamics says that the entropy of the universe is increasing. Entropy is historically related to order, or disorder, of a system. Therefore, the law says that the “Disorder of the Universe is increasing.” This basically addresses the phenomenon of irreversibility in nature.

All that being said, I have a pretty severe case of Ataxophobia, which is a fear of disorder, anyway. I actually fear disorder and not being able to locate what I need to locate, mentally or physically. According to the second law of thermodynamics then, I see no end in sight for my phobia or that it may actually not be a phobia, since by definition a phobia is an irrational fear and is actually termed a disorder! If it is an actual law of thermodynamics that this disorder is increasing, how can it be irrational to fear it?

In other words, I don’t think it is accurately placed in the “disorders and phobia” category when it is, quite obviously, well-founded.

I just wanted to get that off my chest. I feel some order in my brain now, at least. I am right and whoever decided it was a disorder is wrong; as usual.

To quote Monk, “It’s alright; I’m not OK.”

DT


No comments: